Thursday , October 22 2020 9:02 am

No intelligence failure in Volta separatists attack – Govt

Government has refuted claims that there was intelligence failure on its part in containing last Friday’s attack in some parts of the Volta Region by separatist group, Homeland Study Group Foundation (HSGF).

Rather, government says the security agencies swift response to the intelligence gathered by them led to the prevention of attacks on “sensitive installations” in the Volta Region.

The Minister of Information, Mr Kojo Oppong Nkrumah, at a press briefing in Accra on Sunday, September 27, said, “I can tell you as a matter of fact that there was no intelligence failure”

“Indeed, the direst aspect of what the intelligence suggested these persons wanted to do was contained by the security agencies. To the effect that they had intentions to, for example, blow up and burn the whole market, attack sensitive installations like the Akosombo dam, Akuse dam and the Adomi Bridge, the first response was to ensure that these installations were secured,” he said.

Read also

31 arrested suspected Western Togoland secessionists airlifted to Accra [VIDEO]

Western Togoland secessionist group blocks roads in Volta Region

Western Togoland: Court orders arrest of leader, five others charged with treason felony

He, therefore, commended the securities agencies for doing “a good job”.

“They picked up the intelligence and analysed to a point when they determined it as actionable and actually took action to prevent the direst part of the intelligence,” he said.

The HSGF on Friday mounted roadblocks on the Juapong–Accra and Sogakope–Accra main roads.

The group, led by 83-year-old Charles Kormi Kudzordzi, has been championing an agenda to declare parts of the Volta and the Oti regions a sovereign state, with the name ‘Western Togoland’.

On November 16, 2019, the leader, with about 100 people in attendance at Moleme in Ho, unlawfully declared the Volta Region as a sovereign state of Western Togoland. 

Source: graphic.com.gh

Check Also

78 alleged Western Togoland separatists re-arraigned with new charges

The State has re-arraigned the alleged separatists suspected of being behind last month’s violence in …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *